To help consolidate what you have learned from the book, here are some points to ponder
Assure your students and clients that your teaching is informed, evidence-based and up-to-date
- The first scientific paper on yoga in Western medical research was published in 1964 and the first randomized controlled trial in 1985. Since 2000, there has been an increasing number of publications. Why do you think this is so?
- Apart from the scientific method, what other ways of knowing would you consider valid, and in which contexts are they most appropriate?
- What are the principle components of a randomized controlled trial? Why is it considered the “gold standard” in scientific research?
- Give examples of some of the ways in which science finds answers to questions? For example, case studies.
- What are some of the challenges in researching yoga?
- What mechanisms in the body respond to yoga and help reduce stress and depression? In brief, how does this happen?
- Would you recommend yoga as a sole therapy for trauma? For anxiety? For depression?
- Can yoga help those with chronic low back pain? How does it compare with exercise?
- What can those with CLBP do in their yoga practice to help themselves?
- What factors influence chronic pain and how might yoga help those with chronic pain cope with the condition?
- How can yoga help those at risk of cardiovascular disease or type 2 diabetes?
- Identify strategies you could implement to specifically help students with cardiovascular disease or diabetes.
- How can yoga help enhance sports training of athletes?
- What is RA? How does it differ from OA? How can yoga help those with RA?
- How long does it take of regular yoga practice for a beginner to see pulmonary function improvements?
- Contrast the benefits of yoga for asthma with the benefits for COPD.
- What does the evidence from research tell us about yoga and sleep? Which groups who have trouble sleeping has yoga been found to help? Which groups with sleep issues have been shown to benefit less from yoga?
- Yoga helps boost our immunity and helps those with chronic inflammatory diseases? How does it do this?
- How can yoga help people with body image issues?
- Identify strategies and precautions you would use to ensure maximum benefit for students with eating disorders.
- In what ways has yoga been shown to help children?
- Describe what you could do in your yoga class to help children with ADHD or ASD.
- What does the scientific evidence have to say about going upside down during menstruation?
- In what ways can yoga help those with endometriosis?
- How can yoga help yoga pregnant women?
- In what ways has science has found yoga to help ageing?
- Seniors benefits in many ways from yoga practice. Comment.
- How does yoga compare with sports like golf, and running in terms of injuries per 1000 hours practice?
- What practices or postures have been found to be most dangerous?
- What are some of the reasons that yoga injuries occur? What can be done to minimise these?
- How can yoga help people in prison?
- Name three ways in which yoga has been shown to help in the corporate setting?
- At the level of society, what ways do you think yoga can help?
- For which conditions is there strong evidence that yoga is an effective treatment? And for which conditions is there not there not much evidence as yet?
- Why is it important as a yoga teacher or therapist to be able to explain the scientific findings on yoga in simple terms?
- How might the knowledge you have gained from reading this book inform or enhance your own teaching or practice?
- In what ways can yoga help breast cancer patients?
- The teacher-student relationship has been found to be of real importance in many studies. What do you think are the most important qualities and skills a teacher or therapist can bring to a yoga session or class?
- Next time you read an article about yoga helping some aspect of health or well-being, what questions would you ask yourself to verify the validity of the statements?
Become a Certified “Science-Smart Yogi”
Gain Certification for 20 hours of continuous professional development
Your answers to the above questions form the core of what you need to know and understand. All applicants will be dealt with personally and given feedback and coaching to ensure that they have gained sufficient understanding and knowledge of the main concepts and topics.
To apply, or for details on current pricing, assessment formats, time line for certification etc. use the contact form, and add the heading “Science-Smart Yogi” to your enquiry.